Tapioca Sago is commonly Known as “SABUDANA साबुदाना” in Hindi, “Sabakki” in Kannada or Javvarisi in Tamil, “Saggubiyyam” in Telugu. Sabudana (Sago) is a produce, prepared purely from Tapioca Root (cassavva root or arbi in Hindi )
Sabudana is considered to be an excellent foods for your baby due to the numerous health benefits that it has.
- Sabudana is a source of protein, vitamin K and metallic nutrients such as calcium and iron which is necessary for a baby to grow. It plays a vital role in the growth, nourishment and healing of muscles whereas the rest are responsible for maintaining the bone’s health and flexibility. It can definitely be your baby’s first food.”
- Sabudana can be easily digested; it can also alleviate constipation, and other tummy troubles such as gas, flatulence, diarrhea, and bloating that are very common in the first year for a baby.
- Tapioca contains a lot of starch, which is packed with the right carbohydrates that would help your baby be energised throughout the day.
- Weight gaining food : As sabudana is rich in its carbohydrate content, it is useful in rejuvenating baby’s energy levels and helps in healthy weight gain and also increases the height
- Good for picky eaters/fussy eaters : My daughter is one of the best example of fussy eater 😩. She say no to 80% food items that I offer to her. When I offer her sabudana porridge I expect the same reaction from her, but this time she surprised me. She open her mouth again asking for more. From that day I become fan of sabudana.😛
- Rich source of protein : It is a good source of protein, which helps with muscle building, healing and strengthening. So vegetarians, turn to sabudana for your daily protein intake.
- Good during pregnancy : Tapioca contains folic acid and vitamin B complex which help in the proper formation of a foetus, protecting it against common birth defects like neural tube defect.
- Sabudana – 1tbs
- Water – 1cup
- Cumin powder – a pinch
- Salt – a pinch(for one year+ baby)
- Curd – 1tsp(good during loose motion)
Method of preparation
Wash sabudana well, then soak it for at least 4 to 5 hours in water. Now add the soaked sadubada with water in pressure cooker, add some more water if required. Allow it to cook for 3 to 4 whistle. Add cumin powder and salt. Grind it well, and make a smooth paste. feed this to your baby. I am sure he will like its taste.
Curd or chaas can also be added. if baby have loose motion add curd definitely, it will increase its taste and nutritional value too.
When you open the pressure cooker, you find sabudana in this form. Now grind it and make paste.
Must have a look
Soak 1 tablespoon Sabudana or Sago seeds till soft. Boil them in a cup of water till they turn translucent. Strain and feed the water to the baby.
Here is the step by step video of preparing sabudana water…
Hope you will add this recipe in your child diet.
To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and like my face book page.