I can easily feel the pain of a mother when their baby is suffering from loose motion. It doesn’t matter sometimes that how careful you are…it can be happened with many reasons
Some are …..
1.When baby is on exclusive breastfeed and sometimes mother take lots of spicy food. I remember when my daughter is in her 3rd month and I have eaten lots of golgappa(panipuri)– a spicy Indian roadside food😋 Next day it shows its effect and my daughter started passing loose stool many times😰
Solution : Mother please avoid heavy and spicy food when baby is on exclusive breast feed.
2. Children have a common habit of taking their hand or anything they found in their mouth. When they touch germy surface and take their fingers in their mouth . It become a reason for loose motion.
- Always sanitize the area where the baby plays by cleaning with a good floor disinfectant cleaner.
- Always wash yours and your baby/kid’s hands with hand wash /anti bacterial wipes.
3. Food allergy :
Food allergies are much more common amongst children who come from families where other members suffer from allergy. There are many signs of food allergies, sometimes mucusy, sometimes bloody, diarrhea is one of them. Milk protein allergy is one of the most common allergy seen in kids.
- Avoid dairy products, except yogurt.
- Cow’s milk-based formula – If the diarrhea is severe and has lasted more than 3 days, we suggest you switch to a soy formula for two weeks while the intestines have time to heal. Intestines that have been damaged by severe diarrhea cannot digest cow’s milk.
- Apple juice, pear juice and cherry juice – The high sorbitol sugar content of these juices can worsen diarrhea. White grape juice is a good alternative.
- Note – It is virtually never necessary to temporarily stop breastfeeding during the course of a diarrhea illness.
4. Food intolerance : Some food are heavy to digest .
Kindly choose food items that are easily digestible for babies.
5. Intestinal Infections : Diarrhea can be caused by rota virus which affects the intestine and prevents absorption of nutrients from the food consumed. It causes very foul smelling, watery, green or brown diarrhea that can persist for weeks. Fever and vomiting are common at the onset of the illness.
Consult doctor as soon as possible.
6. Drinking too much fruit juice Effects Baby Diarrhea
When baby/kids have loose motion, the body become loose and baby show very less interest in playing because of weakness. When my daughter have a severe loose motion she is nine month old. She don’t want to crawl and even don’t want to sit, become very cranky.
Baby loose weight, grow weak and feel tiredness due to dehydration.
Some must read articles
Sample Food Chart for 1-2 year baby
28 Iron Rich Food for babies/toddlers/kids proper devlopment
24 Herbal remedies for cold and cough for babies-Winter Special
Diarrhea can be tackle well if proper food is given to our little one. These are some food or you can call it remedies that helps to stop loose motion and give strength.
- When baby is below six months breastfeed him or formula feed as and when the baby demands. This will helps to keep him hydrated. If your baby can’t keep the milk down, call your baby’s doctor.
- Mother can do is change in their diet include lots of green vegetables and fruits and avoid any meat and spicy food because your diet will reflect their feeding diet.
- Nutmeg /jaiphal is a wonderful remedy for stomach pain, indigestion and other stomach disorders in infants, children and adults. Rub nutmeg in your nipple then feed your baby if baby is below six. For six months plus baby add nutmeg paste in breast milk, and give 1/4th tsp at a time to your baby. Repeat it twice in a day. Rub nutmeg in a clean stone with some water to get its paste.
- If the baby is 6 month+ ORS can be given to keep him hydrated. If ORS is not available add 1tsp of salt and 1tsp of sugar in a cooled boiled water. Give that water to your baby after every bowel. This helps to restore the lost ions and water from the body. Quantity as taken by your little one easily.
- Sabudhana water(8month+) for instant relief. Soak sabudhana, for 2 to 3 hrs, boil it and make a puree by grinding. Add pinch of salt and cumin powder. You can add some curd too. It really helps all the time in my case. Click here for the recipe.🙂
- Buttermilk(7month+) is considered to be a health drink in India and is very effective in soothing the digestive system and bringing it back on track. The acid in the buttermilk has the ability to fight bacteria and germs and to soothe your digestive system. Here is the recipe of preparing a effective buttermilk
- Pomegranate (7month+) is a fruit that will help in reducing the loose motion problems that our little one is suffering from. Blend the pomegranate seeds in a mixer and extract its juice.Give this juice at least three times a day for effective results. Quantity as taken by your baby easily.
- Curd-Rice is a very comforting meal option during the episode of diarrhea, most of the kids likes it too. Good bacteria in curd helps fighting the diarrhea. Add pinch of salt and cumin powder for good result and taste too.
- Boiled potatoes (for 8month +) is loaded with carbs which makes it ideal to provide during loose motions. Prefer white potatoes when your baby has diarrhea. It is rich in starch and carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins and the best thing about it is most of the babies love its taste. See how you can give it to your baby. Here is the recipe
- Banana one study found that babies with diarrhea, when given cooked raw banana, started showing improvements about 24 hours after treatment began. By the fifth day, almost all the children who were given raw bananas had completely recovered while those in the control group who did not have raw banana in their diet continued to suffer from diarrhea for up to 10 days.
- Coconut Water – It is rich in electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium, which is very effective at preventing diarrhea and dehydration. We can give it to our 6 month plus baby.
- Lemon Water – It is an excellent remedy to stop loose motion. It is believed to soothe irritation in the intestines and kills the pathogens causing the diarrhea. Make a Juice of 1 lemon, mix with a glass of water, add a pinch of salt or sugar, and offer your baby. Don’t add sugar/salt for babies below one year
- Moong dal soup is very healthy and good during loose motions too. It give strength to the body. Don’t use ghee when baby is suffering from loose motion. Check its recipe here.
- Moond dal khichidi is a complete food and give strength to the body.Check its recipe here.
- Stewed apple – It helps keep the bowels regular (avoiding constipation, avoiding diarrhea). Please keep in mind that one should avoid apple juice during loose motion as its has more of sugar found in the apple. Check its recipe here.
- Boiled carrot : My daughter love steamed carrot. When babies suffering from diarrhea they become cranky and don’t want to eat much. That time boiled carrot helps you . Its taste is loved by almost all kids. Pressure cook it for one whistle and give it to your baby either in mashed form or as a finger food according to the age of your baby.
- Idly : Idli is a very light food with zero spices. It is easy to digest and bind the stomach.
- Shahi jeera : Soak it in water for two three hours, sieve it ,warm it and give this to your baby.
- Bael juice is also good for people who are suffering from dysentery or loose motion.
- Avoid ready made food and give home made food.
- Make sure babies toys are washed before giving it to him.
- Mother should take care of her food if baby is on breastfeed.
- Visit doctor immediately if condition remain same for more than 2 to 3 days.
I hope this article will help mothers to sooth their darling one…
To get regular updates please subscribe
to my blog and like my face book page.😃