My daughter is a huge fan of tomato ketchup, I think every child who taste it once started liking it. She finishes her paratha easily if I put some tomato ketchup in her plate.
Few weeks back she has very bad loose motion. My ped asked me what she have in the whole day, when I added ketchup in her day today food list. Friends he become so angry and told me not to give ketchup available in market. He said ketchup available in market is really good in taste but with zero nutritional value. I feel so bad that I am giving such a useless thing to my darling daughter.
But Thanks to God my mother in- law know how to prepare tomato ketchup at home and the good news is that my choosy little one loved that too when I my mom prepare it.
I know now you all want to know the procedure. Sorry I become so talkative these days.
Now I am moving to the procedure. Shall we?
Winters are best to prepare tomato ketchup because this time tasty red tomatoes are available in quantities with a very low price. Choose fleshy tomatoes, not the desi tomatoes for sauce as it only have juice and less flesh. You can put 5 to 6 desi tomatoes also just for taste.
- 2 kg tomatoes (quantity may vary but for the first time take less quantity)
- Sugar – (1 big bowl). Quantity may vary according to taste
- Salt – 1 to 2 spoon
- black salt – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1tsp(as we are giving it to our baby, so use it less)
- Garam masala – 1tsp
- Cumin seed(Jeera) – 2 tsp
- Ginger paste – 1tsp
- garlic paste(optional) – 1tsp
- green chilly- according to your family taste.
- ¼ tsp sodium benzoate – for preservation
- Acetic Acid – 1 tsp – for preservation
Method of preparation:
Remember one thing, not a single drop of water is required in this ketchup otherwise it will get rotten down in few days. Wash the tomato one day before preparing the ketchup and spread it in a cotton cloth so that it will dry properly
- Roughly cut the tomatoes in small pieces as shown in the picture.
- Put the pieces in a large size pressure cooker and put some of the ingredients while boiling(ginger,garlic, cumin seeds, garam masala, red chilly powder, green chilly) and close the lid.
- Don’t add a single drop of water. Tomatoes already contain water.
- Put the cooker in the flame in low to medium flame.
- After 3 to 4 whistle switch of the flame. Let the pressure cooker open by itself.
- Grind it well with the help of beater or grinder.
- Now filter it with the help of kitchen net, after filtering the puree ,the left over is only tomato seeds and the outer covering remains.
- Put a pan or kadhai in the flame and pour the puree in it.
- Stir the puree well in a regular interval of half to one minute. When the puree heated well, you can see bubbles .
- After 25 to 30 minutes the puree started getting thick. Now add salt and sugar in it.
- Shorter cooking times will yield a thinner sauce with a fresher tomato flavor; longer cooking times will thicken your sauce and give it a cooked flavor. Watch your sauce as it simmers and stop cooking when it reaches a consistency and flavor you like.
- I give a cooking range of 40 to 60 minutes.
- When the puree reaches the required consistency, switch off the flame.
- Add sodium benzoate and acetic acid and stir well.
- Both the above ingredient is for preservation. Its optional if you prepare in small batch and used within 10 days.
- Pour the hot tomato ketchup in the sterilized jar.
- Close tightly with the lid.
- Let the ketchup cool and be kept aside for some hours or a day.
- Then keep in the refrigerator and enjoy the yummy ketchup with different dishes.
- If you are preparing the sauce in large quantity, close the lid properly then pour some melted wax in betwwen the lid and bottle. then rap a sellotape, so that air doesn’t go inside it.
- It will last for 2 to 3 months if you kept it in refrigerator.
Hope the procedure I explain here is clear to lovely mothers. Waiting for your feedback dear mothers and your kids reaction too.
For getting regular updates you can
my Face book page and subscribe my blog.
Share this recipe in Facebook, so tha mother’s like us give pure and nutritious things to there baby.