The foundation of the baby is laid in the uterus. The growth of the fetus is dependent both upon seed(genetic endowment) and soil(maternal health and nutrition). During pregnancy nutritional requirements are increased to sustain growth of fetus.
During first three months of pregnancy,the nutritional requirement are not increased. Instead mother not able to eat enough due to lack of appetite and several vomiting. So mothers, you don’t have to panic you just have to take adequate intake of folic acid.
My 1st trimester of pregnancy was just so tough that I can’t even eat single chapati in a day. Just eat some salty biscuits or fruit juices. Sometime i become very tensed that how my baby grow if I eat so less but my gyno told me not to worry this happened with many pregnant ladies. As the time passes automatically my quantity of food increases.
Things that you take during pregnancy are:
- High fiber diet : Whole grain cereals,rice bread,pulses,legumes
- Fresh green leafy vegetables and fruits
- Milk and milk products: Yogurt,cheese,milk shake, khoya, kheer,desserts etc.
- If you are non-vegetarian you can take: mutton,chicken,liver fish and eggs
Avoid excessive intake of raw sugars and fatty food like :
parantha,halwa,pasteries,cake,chocolates,sweet drinks etc. which may lead to overweight,obesity and increased risk of heart disease later in life
|Dietary menu during pregnancy
|One cup tea with honey or sugar and biscuits(preferably high fiber biscuits)
|2 medium chapatis or2 slices brown bread or 1 katori porridge, cheese 30g sprouts,milk,egg etc.
|One glass fruit juice or butter milk
|Fresh vegetable salad,4 medium chapatis(preferably made of wheat mixed with Bengal grain in 4:1 ratio)or one cup rice pulao with vegetables,pulses or chicken,fish(90g),fresh vegetables 2 cup,yogurt,cooking oil 10g
|1-2 serving of fruits
|Same as lunch or its equivalent
- Avoid extra salt when blood pressure is high
- In gestational diabetes , same diet can be taken without sugar
Supplements and Micro nutrients : In pregnancy period only food doesn’t fulfill your body requirements. You should take extra amount of vitamins ,zinc and iodine. You should take regular supplements of iron and folic acid .Your hemoglobin should be maintained above 10g/dl. Calcium and vitamin d are also important for the formation of baby’s bones and teeth.
Some important things to remember
- Coconut water is very beneficial at early pregnancy. It reduces the risk of abortion as it give a cool sensation to our body. My mother-in-law say having coconut water has a good effect on babies skin.
- Cabbage, Cauliflower & all long green vegetables such as Tondali, Turai, Louki, Parwal, Spinach, Govari should be used alternately. You must keep balance, rather than eating same vegetable all the time.
- Reduce brinjal, suran/yam, papaya, celery, onion, chilli, garlic, ginger, pepper, asfoetida, mustard, bajara, carom seeds, jaggery from your diet. You must remember that those who have previous history of abortion better they must avoid these.
- Those who suffer from constipation, gas, bloating must avoid peas and other `heavy to digest’ cereals, potato. They must take green gram as it is easy to digest and gives protein.
- Black grapes, banana, ripe mango, dates, cashew nuts, apricot are very beneficial.
- Butter, clarified butter, milk, honey, fennel seeds, sweets made from jaggery rather than white sugar can be taken in small quantity.
- Rice, Murmure, pulao, Bhakari, Khichri, Chapati, Paratha, Gujarati thepla are the items made from wheat and rice, so they are quite beneficial.
- Items such as sandwich, bakery bread, bun, dhokla, pizza, handva, pancake, khaman, steamed rice cake, curd, tomato, tamarind, kadhi usually increase the swellings and acidity. So, try to avoid such item but if such problems do not exist, you can take in small quantity.
- Women try to carry out fasts during pregnancy which is not good for health.
- Do not eat left over, frozen & deep-frozen food.
- Avoid cold drinks, mutton, cocoa, chicken, eggs, alcohol, smoking, tobacco, betel nut, pan-masala but tea, coffee & ice-creams can be taken in small quantity. I just love to eat paratha with pickle and tea at my pregnancy time.
- Remember, the baby inside depends on you for proper nutrition. So, if you will take healthy & balanced diet your child will become healthy.
- During pregnancy, mother must focus on supplemental nutrients while maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet. They must get a list of healthy Indian foods and meal planning tips from doctor to eat well during a pregnancy.
Pregnant women must maintain a high quality diet during their pregnancy to get a healthy, fit & fine baby. Now start following your diet chart to become a healthy mom.
To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and
my Face Book page
ref : http://www.indianfoodforever.com/food-guide/indian-diet-during-pregnancy.html