Butter milk (chaas) is a very common drink and I know it is prepared in many houses specially in summer , still I am sharing its recipe . The reason is some days before my grandmother’s friend visited my house and I served her chaas.
She told me the miraculous ingredients that earlier people used to add in chass to get awesome results and they don’t need to rush to doctors for small small problems like we do these days.😖
- Earlier I used to take tea after my meal, but when realized the good effects of chaas in my body, I replace my near to dear tea with chaas. Now the whole day I feel good after having chaas, no acidity, no indigestion, no heaviness.😃
- Now my daughter also become a big fan of butter milk. I used to give her when she is very small around 7-8 month old. when ever I see the sign of loose motion, I replace his formula or cow milk(after 1 year) with butter milk.
- It Strengthen the immune system, so very beneficial if we started giving it to our babies as a regular drink. All spices except cumin powder should be given to baby after completing one year.
- I always used to pack chill butter milk along with lunch box in a Milton bottle for my husband and father in law. 😋
So without taking much of your time, I directly jump to the healthiest, easy and very tasty recipe…here we go😀
No cooking required
serves : 3-4
- Fresh curd – 1 bowl
- Roasted cumin seeds powder(jeera)- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds powder(methi) – 1/4th tsp (powder it just by putting in a grinder without roasting) *Read notes
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dried mint powder (pudina)- 1/2 tsp
- Black salt(kaka namak) – 1/4 tsp
- Rock salt – 1/2 tsp (namak kam hi lo but aacha lo😉)
Must read articles
Method of Preparation
Butter milk is very easy to prepare, we just need to add all the healthy spices that is mentioned above.
Add 2 glass of water . Mix well with the help of hand blender so that lumps of curd mixed well.
Chill in the refrigerator.Your butter milk us ready to serve.
Garnish it with cumin powder or can put fresh coriander or mind leaf to it.
Benefits of ingredients that we added to it…
Chaas is categorized as a sattvic food in Ayurveda
- Curd and water
- The main ingredients of chaas is water and curd. Made with cool, watered down curd, this drink is perfect to soothe the stomach. As you drink it the cool buttermilk tends to wash down the spices and calms an irritated stomach lining.
- Since it contains electrolytes and lots of water, it is the best treat to give to your body to fight dehydration.
- Many kids are lactose intolerant actually able to digest yogurt without a problem. If you’re lactose intolerant, drinking chaas is one way to make sure you get your calcium.
2. Cumin powder and Black pepper
- This spices relieves the stomach from irritation caused due to spicy foods.
- Very helpful for those who are looking to lose weigh, cumin powder helps in loosing weight.
3. Fenugreek seeds powder(methi)
- I am talking about methi powder that my grand mother’s friend advised us.
- Methi not only add flavor to dishes and controlling diabetes to inducing labor, fenugreek seeds have had diverse benefits for your skin, hair, and health.
- Fenugreek seeds have been used by women to increase their breast milk production.
- Reduces cholesterol, reduces pain from arthritis, help in weight loss, improve kidney function, improve Kidney Function, protect liver, fight dandruff, prevent hair loss etc etc etc..Their are many other benefits but I think this much benefits are enough for everyone to include it in our diet.😉
4. Dried Mint powder
- Cures respiratory disorders like asthma, coughs, congestion, and cold
- Good for stomach problems like indigestion, acidity, worm infestation, flatulence, colic, diarrhea, etc.
- Reduces cramps – beneficial in reducing stomachache and menstrual cramps
- It has a relaxing effect – relieves headaches, migraines and reduces stress and tension
5. Black salt
- Indian black salt is considered a cooling spice in ayurvedic medicine and is recommended for many health issues such as constipation, indigestion, heartburn, bloating, flatulence, goiter, poor eyesight and hysteria.
6. Rock salt(sendha namak)
- It aids in digestion and is prescribed for laxative and digestive disorders. It improves appetite, removes gas and soothes heartburn.
- It stabilizes blood pressure, maintain the pH balance etc etc…
- You can also chill the butter milk in the refrigerator and serve later.If possible use it in the same day.
- If used after few hours, the spices settled down in the bottom and fenugreek powder become sticky. So it is my advice to blend it again before serving or serve it immediately after preparation.
- If having cold, prepare it in normal water.
- You can also add more water if required to thin the chaas.
Hope this article prove beneficial for everyone and you all started adding all these beneficial healthy spices to chaas.
To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and my Face-book page
Hope I am able to explain the recipe well.😐 Feel free to ask if you have any doubt related to the recipe in comments.
Do let me know the response of your kids and family.