I just love to twist the regular food that we prepare at home. “Bache bhi khush aur bade bhi”😜
Yes you read it correct, its stuffed idlli not stuffed paratha. Tried something new in my kitchen and luckly its appreciated by all and even by my choosy daughter too.. She said mumma, next time please stuffed maggie in it.
Advantages of Stuffed Idli:
- For preparing rava/sooji idli no grinding and fermentation is required.
- They are easily digestible as they are prepared with a fermented batter. Fermentation enhances the nutrients This is what makes idly suitable to all including babies to folks on diet and even to the aged, who generally have poor digestion.
- It can be served as a Starter, just stuffed idli and chutney.
- Good in lunch box for kids as well as for elders because it remain soft and easily prepared.
- Idli is good while travelling too because its quality remain good for longer period and very light to digest and can go with chutney easily .
- Some kids don’t like to have so much veggies together, so other healthy stuffing options are :
- Home made Cottage cheese(paneer)
- Can stuff any veggies
so now its time for the recipe, here I go 1…2….3
Must read articles
1 cup=250 ml
- 1/2 kg soojii/Semolina( rava)- you can increase or decrease the quantity according to requirement.
- Dahi/curd/yogurt( fresh or sour) – 1 cup
- Water – to make the batter smooth, add accordingly & as required to get a medium consistency batter, which is neither thick nor thin.
- Salt- 1 tsp
- ENO/ baking soda- 1 pouch or 1/2 tsp soda
Please refer to the images for better clarification…
Ingredients for stuffing
- Chop all the veggies in a very small pieces.
- Ginger garlic paste
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
- Soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Black pepper, salt , red chilly
Method of Preparation
- Mix rava , curd , salt and water in a big bowl well.
- keep aside covered for 20-30 mins. After 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. rava absorbs water and so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
- Separate half batter and add half pouch of ENO / baking soda (1/4 tsp) to it .Mix well for 1/2 minute for fluffy idli😀
- After adding ENO, you will notice small bubbles in the batter.
- Heat water in a steamer, electric cooker or pressure cooker.
- Pour little quantity of rava idli batter in greased idli moulds.
- Now put the veggies on top of the batter and pres it little bit.
- Add some batter as a topping. Please follow the image for batter clarification.
- You can add different stuffing in next tray also.
- Place the idli stand in the steamer or pressure cooker steam the rava idlis for 8-10 mins or more till a tooth pick inserted in the idlis come out clean.
- Remove the rava idlis from the mould with the help of a sharp spoon and serve the steaming hot stuffed rava idlie’s hot with your favorite coconut chutney.😋
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter.
Read: Tasty Hot-Sticks for Lunch Box
Preparation of Stuffing
- Put 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it.
- Now add ginger garlic paste , saute it well and add all other veggies to it.
- Grate the carrot instead of chopping.
- Mix it well, add salt, black pepper and red chilly.*Read note
- Add sauces and mix it well.
- Switch of the flame and allow it to cool down before stuffing it to idli.
- Stuffed idli can be given to one year plus baby.
- Red chilly is completely optional if given to babies.
To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and my Face-book page
Hope I am able to explain the recipe well.😐 Feel free to ask if you have any doubt related to the recipe in comments.
Do let me know the response of your kids and family.