If you are going for a holiday mathri is always a good option because it long last for more than a month. It can be given to babies as a finger food and good with tea or pickles. so I always carry it with me while travelling. It is a good option for elders as well as for kids.😀
Usually mathris are made with refined wheat flour/maida. But I wanted a healthier mathris, so I have added wheat flour to the recipe. The result was a healthy, crisp and flavorful mathri.
- It is healthy and tasty snacks for lunch box too..
- Good with tea in the evening
- 2 cup Wheat Flour (mainly used for making Chapatis)
- 1/2 cup maida/refined wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Sooji (optional)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or ghee-for softness
- Salt- 2 tsp or as per taste
- 1-2 tsp Ajwain seeds
- Dried kasury methi leaves- 2 tsp(optional)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water (use as needed)
- Oil or Ghee-for deep frying
……………..Must read articles……………..
Eggless Chocolate Wheat Cake
Churma – Prefect instant food for baby while traveling.
11 yummy parathas for the Kids and Family – Lunch Box special
Tasty Hot-Sticks for Lunch Box
Method of preparation
- Mix all the ingredients except water. Mix the flour well with oil as shown in the images.
- Add the water little at a time, kneading into a firm dough. Remember the dough should be rough and tight not smooth.
- Cover the dough and set aside for 15 minutes or more.
- Divide the dough into small equal parts.
- Take each part of the dough and make a flat ball shape. Roll them into 2 inch circles. Don’t make it much thin.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- The frying pan should have atleast 1 1/2 inch of oil.To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should make the oil sizzle and come up slowly.
- Fry a few matris at a time. Make sure to place just enough mathris to cover the frying oil.
- Fry the mathris until both sides are a light golden-brown.
- Don’t fry till brown as it will give over fried taste.Take out on a tissue paper and allow them to become little cool.
- Mathris can be stored for months in airtight containers.
- Can be given to one year plus baby as a finger food.
- You can crush it and mix with curd. It will fills your babies stomach while travelling.
Hope you and your family enjoy its taste.
To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and like my Face Book page.
If you like the recipe do share it with your friends and please please please do comment if you have any query related to it.😀