Khichdi can be considered one of the most nutritious foods for your baby after she or he has been introduced to vegetables and fruits. It’s a one-pot dish for your family too as khichdi can be prepared anytime.
I never miss to feed this khichdi to my daughter, what I do is make many variations to it. Will share all my variations in the coming post. And also I never miss to add homemade ghee to the khichdi. Will soon share that recipe too.
Health benefits of Moong Dal khichdi
- This plain Moong Dal khichdi is rich in protein, carbohydrates and dierty fibers making it highly nutritious diet.
- As this moong Dal khichdi has no spices except of turmeric it is very easy on stomach and is great for babies. Moong Dal khichdi is one of the first home cook meal given to small babies who have just started taking diet.
- During sickness this khichdi is recommended due to this nutrition rich and easily digestible properties. So moong Dal khichdi is must for sick people.
- The moong Dal khichdi is a best gluten-free wholesome meal. Hence khichdi (along with curd/yogurt) is highly recommended when you have an upset stomach or during loose motion.
- Lastly the moong Dal khichdi minus the ghee (clarified butter) is not only rich in nutrients and also a one dish meal that it is good to have if you are following weight loss program.
Split yellow gram/moong dal -1 tbsp
Rice (/regular rice/brown rice) – 2 tbsp
Ghee- 1/2 tsp (preferably home-made)
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Salt – a pinch (optional)
Water- 1/2 cup
- Wash the moong dal and rice thoroughly.
- Soak it for an hour.
- Add turmeric powder, water and a pinch of salt and pressure cook for about 3-4 whistles , till the mixture is mashed.
- You can add vegetables like spinach, carrot, potato etc to it. It enhance the taste as well as nutritional benefits.
- You can get the required consistency of the khichdi by adding sufficient quantity of water.
- Put the khichadi in a bowl and add ghee to it.
- When your baby becomes 7 months+, you can start adding cumin seeds, mustard seeds , hing and 1 deseeded tomato to enhance the flavor.
You can use it in 2 forms . Either you can blend it properly with grinder you can can mash it with spoon also.In the images both the forms is have shown.
You can see the videos also . I m sure it will clear all your doubts.
Some points to remember:-
- Always wash rice and dal very well to remove all the starch and acky stuff from it.
- You can start feeding this for babies above 6 months.
- Always feed this meal for lunch, not for dinner.
- The consistency of this is up to you. You can mash them with a potato masher, or put them in a blender and make into a fine puree. I make it into a fine puree.
- Adding ghee enhances the flavor and make it more nutritious for you baby and helps in weight gaining in babies.
- Make sure the ghee which you use is pure ones. My mother-in law prepare it at home specially for her grand children food. I will share the procedure if you want.
- Rice wont cause constipation, allergies in babies.