It is a very painful feeling when your baby spend sleepless nights, become cranky, not able to breath properly, due to cough.
My daughter is a March-born baby, so her starting 6 months was without any cold and cough as the weather in Rajasthan was warm till September. I remember the time when she had cold for the first time. It was such a bad feeling, especially because she didn’t like any allopathic syrups. She used to vomit right after taking any medicines for cold and cough and the food I gave her with so much efforts also vomited out.
So I stopped giving her any medicines and switch towards Home Remedies.
As a mother I understand the situation that all the newly mom’s must be facing these days , as the weather has started to change and many little one’s showing the symptoms of cold and cough.
Many mother started asking what to do as their baby showing the symptoms of cold and cough.
So I am here with some of the home remedies. Shall we move?
Babies up to 6 months
Remember your baby’s first cold. I am sure many moms would have gone through this difficult phase of sleepless nights and crankiness in babies cold.
- Breast milk
Keep nursing as much as possible to keep your little one hydrated that will help the airways remain moist and will pass along mama’s antibodies.Breast milk is the best medication for up to six month old babies suffering from cold to fight from virus and bacteria. Breast milk is rich in antibodies specific to baby’s environment, and this is why breastfed infants contract fewer infections than do those who are given formula. But one think mother have to remember that they have to choose the food that doesn’t help cold and cough in its growth. Some important points mother have to take care when her breastfeed baby is suffering from cold
- Avoid refrigerated curd or banana.
- Avoid ice creams or any other cold drinks.
- Avoid drinking cold water. Normal temperature water is recommended.
- Mother have to take bath with warm water.
- Read: Breast Feeding
2. Put some Vicks in hot water and keep the pot near the bed side where your baby is sleeping. It will help in decongest stuffed nose. Do this before bed time so that the baby will sleep with ease.
3. Cover up your baby properly if its winter, in summers also if baby is suffering from cold make him wear cloths that cover his chest properly.
4. Keep yours and your babies hands sanitized thoroughly at regular intervals with antibacterial baby wipes or soap . This helps to prevent the spread of germs. Baby’s skin is delicate and it needs gentle and effective protection. I prefer to use Mee Mee wipes, as its quality is really good. The wipes are thick , so its very easy for cleaning. Baby wipes are a must have item in your maternity bag. It’s my saviour for me these days as infections are at its peak.
5. When baby is suffering from cold, Keep there head elevated /upright, to ease breathing.
6.Mustard Oil with Garlic and Ajwain/ Carom seed
My mother-in law prepared a medicated oil at home,which is really very helpful and worked well when my daughter suffer from cold and cough. Its very easy to prepare.
Take a pan and put some good quality of mustard oil in it. Switch on the flame, when the oil is hot enough turn off the flame and add some ajwain(approx 1-2tsp) and chopped garlic( 3-4 cloves).
Let it be cool and store the oil in a bottle.
At the time of oil message put some oil in a bowl and heat it. Don’t apply it directly ,firstly check its temperature by putting the oil in your finger. Now apply that oil in the center of the babies head. It will give a quick relief to your baby from cold. You can rub that oil in babies feet and chest as the oil is little bit hot , it gives a good feel to your baby.
After the message I am sure your baby enjoy a good sleep.
7. Nasal saline drops
I am sure your pediatrician would have prescribed pediatric saline drops for infants. I used it when all the other options fail ,and she is unable to sleep because of blocked nose. But it really work.
8. For severe cold a home remedy suggested by my mother as she used this recipe for me in my childhood.
In the middle of baby head put some slightly warm mustard oil, put some ajwain powder (after grinding) and turmeric powder in the head where you apply the mustard oil. Cover that area with a betel leaf (slightly warm the leaf in a tawa )and let him wear a cap that covered the head properly. After that give a message with garlic ajwain mustard oil.
This effective remedy will work best at night and let your baby sleep. In morning remove the betel leaf from the head.
9. Get Skin to Skin with your baby: Don’t put baby down, try to keep her in arms or a carrier, and give her as much skin to skin contact as possible. This will help your baby recovered soon.
10. Take 1 spoon desi ghee. Put 2 pinches of jaiphal powder in it. Bring ghee to a boil. Let it cool down a bit. Then apply this ghee on your little one’s chest and neck and back. Make him wear warm clothes and put him to sleep. Do this only during his bedtime so that there is no exposure to cold. Tried tested n safe for babies. Your baby will start looking better from the second day. All phlegm will pass out in his potty next morning.
Babies above 6 months
You can try the above mentioned points. Apart from those try this
This sipper is really good and very convenient to use.
11. Give warm water at a regular interval. You can boil the water and add ajwain and some palm candy( tal mishri) in it. Let it be cool enough that your baby take it easily. Give that Luke warm ajwain water to your baby. I know many mothers don’t know about palm candy.Palm candy is a nutrient-rich, low-glycemic crystalline sweetener that looks, tastes, dissolves and melts almost exactly like sugar, but it’s completely natural and unrefined. It is ideal for infants and growing child.
13.You can try steaming the room using a vaporizer or giving a warm shower .
NOTE : Steam should not placed close to the baby.
14. Tulsi /basil leaf juice twice a day work as a magic in cold. 11 leaves can roughly give us 1 spoon of juice.
15.Tomato and garlic soup can be given to 7M + babies. This is very tasty as well as common cure for cold and cough. No need to add any spices to it. can add a pinch of black pepper(optional).
16. Apply vapo rubs for babies under the feet and put on cotton socks before sleep.
BABIES ABOVE 1 YEAR:
17. Grate ginger and take its juice and add honey to it. A tsp. of this can be given at regular intervals. Helps to soothe the throat and cough.
18. Milk with turmeric powder really work well. I suggest every mother to add it to your child milk in winters specially. I used to add turmeric to my daughter milk as a health drink.The antiseptic and astringent properties of turmeric combined with the soothing effect of milk are responsible for providing quick relief from respiratory problems including a dry cough. Turmeric milk has been extensively used as a potent blood purifier and cleanser in Ayurveda medicines. The presence of a wide range of vital nutrients in this milk boosts blood circulation.
19. Tulsi one of the well known plant for its medicated quality. Boil 2 cups of water and add 11 tulsi leaves to the boiling water, grate ginger in it and add 1tsp of ajwain to it. Turn off the flame when half of the water remains. Add some jaggery to it .It add sweetness as well as jaggery is good in cold. Give this water(we called it kadha) to your baby and covered him properly after giving this kadha .Its work well if your baby is not exposed to cold air for some time.
- Refer this video to use tulsi in cold and cough
Babies above 2 year of age
20 .Ginger Kadha work very fast in cold. . Boil about 1 cup of water with 2 slices of ginger,grate it well , 7 tulsi leaves, 2 pepper pods,2 cloves .When the water remains half,turn off the flame and add 1 tbsp jaggery . Strain and give this kadha for quick relief from cold and cough. Don’t forget to cover your baby well after giving the kadha.
21. You can start giving chawanprash (half spoon). It will boost the immunity of your growing children. May be your baby don’t like the taste of it in the starting but with your little effort he started enjoying it. I m lucky in this case as my daughter loves its taste.
23. Sitopladi churn is also good for babies above 3 year. I give it to my daughter when she has started showing the symptoms of cold. just mix a teaspoon of churn to a tsp of honey. Mix both of them well. Give it to your baby with spoon in a small small quantity. May be first time baby reject its taste, but after that he will take it.
Babies above 4 year
Try the above mentioned points.
23. Ask him to gargle with warm water. Add some salt to the water, which helps to clear off the throat and nose.
24. Give him 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of honey.
You can also mix honey with hot water and add a squeeze of lemon, which provides a little vitamin C along with the soothing honey.
25. Prepare herbal milk at your home on daily basis and give this milk to your whole family, mother you can also take this milk. This will boost immunity of your family. Click here for the recipe.
- Please consult your pediatrician if cold and cough remains for more than 10 days.
- This gallery is for informational purposes only—always call your pediatrician for any medical questions.
Hope the above mentioned remedies help your darling one in getting out from the tough time of cold and cough. To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and my face book page.
Please feel free to ask if you have any doubt related to the home remedies that is mentioned above.
Don’t forget to share it with your friends in Facebook if you like the remedies. 🙂