I came to know about Mini Idli after my marriage, it is a very regular and famous dish prepared in almost every house of Bhilwara. Finally I also tried my hands in it when I noticed that my daughter is showing much more interest in small small idli rather than big one. It is very common among every mother, what their choosy little customer loves to eat become the most common dish prepared in their kitchen. Same happened with me also.😃
My daughter loves to eat it in different styles, some time with her tiny foke, sometimes with toothpicks, sometimes as paneer tikka 😋..Actually we can serve to our guest and family in all these styles too.😎 Mini idlis are good in lunch box too.
- 1 cup=250 ml
- 1/2 kg soojii/Semolina( rava)- you can increase or decrease the quantity according to requirement.
- Dahi/curd/yogurt( fresh or sour) – 1 cup
- Water – to make the batter smooth, add accordingly & as required to get a medium consistency batter, which is neither thick nor thin.
- Salt- 1 tsp
- ENO/ baking soda- 1 pouch or 1/2 tsp soda(optional)
Please refer to the images for better clarification…
Ingredients for frying the idli
- Grate carrot and chop all the veggies in a very small pieces.
- Ginger garlic paste
- Tomato ketchup – 2 tsp
- Soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Black pepper, salt , red chilly
……….Some interesting articles to read……
Method of Preparation
- Mix rava , curd , salt and water in a big bowl well.
- Keep aside covered for 20-30 minutes. After 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. Rava absorbs water so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
- Separate half batter and add half pouch of ENO / baking soda (1/4 tsp) to it .Mix well for 1/2 minute for fluffy idli
- After adding ENO, you will notice small bubbles in the batter.
- Heat water in a steamer, electric cooker or pressure cooker.
- Pour little quantity of rava idli batter in greased mini idli moulds. Use small spoon to pour the batter.
- Place the mini idli stand in the steamer and cover it well and allow it to steam for 5-7 minutes .
- Remove the mini idlis from the mould with the help of a sharp spoon.
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter.
- kids like it plane too. See how my daughter is enjoying it.😘
Process of Frying
- Put 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it.
- Now add ginger garlic paste , saute it well and add all other veggies to it.
- Grate the carrot instead of chopping.
- Mix it well, add salt, black pepper and red chilly.*Read note
- Add sauces and mix it well.
- Now slowly add mini idlies to it. Mix it carefully so that the idli doesn’t break down.
- No need to cook much, just ensure all idlies warped properly with veggies and sauces.
These idli batter can also be used to prepare normal idli with or without idli stand. I specifically bought the mini idli stand from amazon and is really good. Have a look, hope it is useful for you too. This stand can be easily dit in normal idli steamer.
- Mini idli can be given to 9 month+ baby. Can be given as a finger food to babies.
- Red chilly is completely optional if given to babies.
To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and my Face-book page
Hope I am able to explain the recipe well.😐 Feel free to ask if you have any doubt related to the recipe in comments.
Do let me know the response of your kids and family.