In 11 and 12 Months most Babies need :
- Solid foods three times a day. By now your baby should be eating a variety of different foods and taking an active role at mealtimes by self-feeding and drinking from a sippy cup.
Read: Different Learning activities for 1 to 2 years baby2016/01/13
- At 11 to 12 months: 22 to 30 ounces of breast milk or formula in a 24-hour period. Beginning at 12 months, your baby can transition to whole cow’s milk and should drink less than 30 ounces a day (more than this can reduce your child’s appetite for other healthy foods and can lead to iron deficiency anemia).
- A little less than 14 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period this includes nighttime sleep and naps. Two naps during the day (morning and afternoon) is typical, though some babies will move toward just one long nap each day.
- Now baby should be encouraged to self-feed. He should have his own high chair where he can sit with other family members at the height of dinning table.
- The child should be worn a plastic bib to prevent soiling of cloths. Plastic bib is really very necessary mothers otherwise the cloths from the front really become dirty.
- At one year of age, although your baby weights around 10kg on an average , but his caloric and nutritional needs are just one- half of yours! This concept gives you a broad idea as how your baby needs to eat at this stage.
- By 1 year he can eat family food and is able to use his fingers and spoon to feed himself. There is no need at this stage to cook separately for the child as the family meals can be modified in consistency and spicing to serve the taste and needs of your child.
- Avoid offering soft drinks, chocolates and ice cream at this stage and delay their introduction to a stage where it become unavoidable to deny them.
- Avoid offering whole nuts, popcorn,round candies, grapes or roasted bengal grams to a toddler due to serious risk of choking.
- The practice of washing hands before and after feeding should be strictly followed at this early age so that it become a useful habit later in life.
Breakfast time ( any one) :
- Cerelac with any fruit puree
- Suzi ka or wheat flour(aatte) halwa. You can make upma also…its a salty halwa made of water n Suzi.
- Yogurt (can add sugar or salt as your baby like)
Mid breakfast Time
- Mixed vegetable soup
- Tomato soup
- Spinach soup
- Chicken soup
Soups are really good for babies as it is easy to take ,tasty as well?? as healthy too.
- Rice with dal .
- Potato mash
- Rice with spinach puree
- Carrot dal mash( my daughter loved the pieces of carrot boiled with dal, I gave her as a finger food)
- Roti dipped in dal(don’t forget to add pure ghee to dal). Mass the pieces of roti properly so that he will take it easily.
- Rice with ghee and salt and pinch of cumin powder(optional)
- Rice with ghee and sugar.
- Mixed vegetable pulav with less chilies and spices
- Rice with chicken
- Dal khichdi (can add vegetables)
- Small paratha stuffed with paneer?? or veggies. You have to offer it to your baby in a very small mashed pieces, (can dipped with curd too).
Note: Sit with little amount of water or freshly prepared juice, so its become easy for your baby to finish his meal.
Mid evening snacks
- Apple puree/apple milkshake
- chickoo puree/milkshake
- Milk with kesar badam powder
- papaya (can give very small pieces)/ milkshake
- Banana mash/milkshake
- Cut fruits(all the fruits in small bite size pieces)
- Additional seasonal fruits like plum(aloobukhara), pear, mango and litches can be given.
Read : Home made cerelac
Read : Home made cerelac for baby(2nd way)
DINNER( Opt anyone mentioned below)
- Same as lunch but No curd
BEFORE BED TIME ( Optional )
- I always prefer to small glass of milk at bed time, as after having dinner my daughter played a lot with her Grand Father :) The food she had at dinner time will digested well while playing as you know now a days all kids sleep very late.
- In winters don’t forget to add turmeric powder( a pinch) in the milk . It will help your darling baby to avoid cold as much as possible.
- Sometimes your baby is not in a mood to take solid,You can replace it with breast feed or cow milk.
- NO force feeding your baby for a particular food . Every baby is different, so keep record of the likes of your baby and modify the food chart accordingly.
- Avoid bakery products as much possible as its full of maida, sugar and preservatives. We can’t avoid it when our naughty baby will start understanding all this.
- Take your baby out in a stroller to a park or outside. This helps baby to develop social skills by meeting new people.
- Graduate your baby from purees to thickly mashed food and soft chunks. Finger foods are great for this stage.
- Offer finger foods like small pieces of carrots/ cucumbers/ beetroot / apples /boiled potato etc when you are doing something, as it will make him busy and filled.
- Always remember to provide milk on everyday basis.
- You may also want to get rid of bottle gradually, if you give them to your baby.
- Offer wide variety of foods to baby but do not worry if baby does not finish everything.
Hope you get some idea about the food habits of 9 to 10 months babies. To get regular updates please subscribe to my blog and my face book page.