Use of Olive oil is very common for massaging purpose specially for babies. Because of its high price its use is limited . But now a days because if its health benefits , olive oil is used as a edible oil also.
Accordingly to a study regular use of olive oil helps in reducing the risk of the cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, stroke, high blood pressure and even reduce the risk of breast cancer, and type-II diabetes. A diet rich in olive oil may actually be able to slow down the aging of the heart.
Some health benefits of Olive oil
Olive Oil Fights Osteoporosis
-Olive oil supplementation was found to positively affect the thickness of bones.
Olive Oil May Protect from Depression
According to Spanish researchers from the University of Navarra and Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, a diet rich in olive oil can protect from mental illness.
Olive oil also provides our blood vessels with unique molecules like HT that actually work at a genetic level to help the cellular walls of the blood vessels remain strong.
- Decrease blood pressure
Researchers believe that the plentiful amount of oleic acid in olive oil helps in lowers blood pressure. To our knowledge, this is the first time that the monounsaturated fat content of olive oil has been linked not only to cholesterol reduction, but also to reduction of blood pressure.
There are many options available in market. But the main problem we face while choosing the olive oil is which one is best for our family or which one suits our family. When you are searching for a perfect olive oil for your family , you need to ask yourself first that how much olive flavor you’re looking for in your recipe. Next, look for an olive oil that will survive (i.e. high-heat frying) and enhance the meal you’re making and which one your pocket allow you to buy 😉 So here is the solution of your confusion.
Olive oil is available in a variety of grades, which reflect the degree to which it has been processed.
Extra virgin Olive oil (EVOO) Extra virgin olive oil is derived from the first pressing of the olives and has the most delicate flavor and strongest overall health benefits.
This olive oil is unprocessed and cold pressed that’s why lots of good content present in it. Cold pressing means that heat or chemicals aren’t part of the production process.
It is the only cooking oil that is made without the use of chemicals and industrial refining. Extra virgin olive oil contains all the goodness and natural attributes that are present in the olive fruit. Anti oxidant, poliphynols, vitamin A,B, E, K and healthy unsaturated fatty acids are present in it.. Different 220 molecules present in it that effects its color , taste and flavor. This oil is mainly used in raw form or for light cooking like for cold dishes, salad dressing , for steamed cooked dish , for very light frying or use to drizzle on bread and drizzle over fresh vegetables..
Note: Always prefer to buy this oil that present in dark green color bottle so that its oxidant doesn’t effect because of light.
- A diet rich in extra virgin olive oil may deliver greater and longer lasting weight loss 🙂 results than a low-fat diet.
- Diabetic delay: It helps regulate and balance our insulin levels, so you are not really having those spikes. It prevent or delay the onset of diabetes.
Extra virgin olive oil contains a substance called oleocanthal, which has anti- inflammatory agents, meaning olive oil is like a natural Ibuprofen. EVOO is known to contain stronger concentrations of phytonutrients (especially polyphenols) that have well-known anti-inflammatory properties.
- Good for skin: Extra virgin olive oil helps with anti-aging, osteoporosis and skin damage.
- Strengthen your immune system: Loaded with antioxidants vital for strengthening and protecting your immune system extra virgin olive oil may help you become more resistant to infection. This wide range of important antioxidants isn’t found in other oils.
- Pregnancy time : Not only can olive oil application assist in avoiding stretch marks, consuming extra virgin olive oil while pregnancy may improve your childs psychomotor reflexes and more.
- It is a natural food enhancer : Good quality extra virgin olive oil makes vegetables taste better, it makes salads taste better.
- Good for nails : Dull, brittle nails can be easily moistened by gently rubbing them with a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. They will retain a wonderful natural shine too.
- Good for hair : Gently warming a small quantity of high quality extra virgin olive oil before applying it to your hair and scalp achieves great results.
- EVOO is the most expensive among all other olive oil .
- We can’t use it for deep frying 🙁
Olive oil – This oil is a combination of refined olive oil and EV olive oil. Refined olive oil is obtained by refining oil that does not possess optimum characteristics. After refining, the oil is blended with EV oilive ol. Olive oil is an intermediate grade oil the best.
This oil is good for cooking but not so good for Indian cooking as its taste is strong.. It’s color is light. Olive oil has the same health-promoting monounsaturated fats as extra virgin olive oil, but it doesn’t pack the same antioxidant punch. Because it is not cold-pressed (raw). The heat used in the extraction process for pure olive oil disperses the antioxidants. The pure variety does provide a more neutral flavor and lighter golden color than extra virgin, so it’s great for cooking and baking where you want a touch of that olive essence.
olive oil actually has the same acidity level as virgin olive oil, and for that reason it has good resistance to high temperatures. Its lower nutrient content than virgin olive oil makes it less expensive. It cannot be used for dressings and is better suited for heavy-duty, high-heat cooking.
It’s also great for grilling, frying, roasting and sauting vegetables and meats. Deep-frying in olive oil adds flavor, which is desirable in some circumstances but also can obscure the pure flavor of the food being fried. Whether you deep fry in olive oil will depend on whether you want that flavor or not.
We can put it in any transparent bottle also. It’s range is low in compare to EVOO.
Olive pomace oil – After preparing EVOO oil, the remaining olive is used to prepare this oil. Olive pom-ace oil is olive oil that is extracted from olive pulp after the first press. Once the mechanical oil extraction of olive oil is complete, approximately 5-8% of the oil remains in the pulp, which then needs to be extracted with the help of solvents, an industrial technique used in the production of most other edible oils including canola, peanut, sunflower, etc.
Pomace oil that is extracted is still technically oil that comes from olives, this is done via the use of chemical solvents, and therefore should never be termed, directly or indirectly, as olive oil. Less contents are available in it in compare to EVOO and Normal olive oil.. Anti oxidant and polyphylons are less in compare to others. Always prefer a good brand for this oil as in some of them chemical like polycycling aromatic hydrocarbon present. People, who are experts in grades and types of oil, do not consider pomace oil even to be called olive oil. Although, technically, it is still oil obtained from olive as it is obtained from the pulp (pomace) after it has been pressed or cold pressed several times to obtain higher grades.
- But this oil is lowest in range in compare to other to. G
- Even though its a lower grade of oil that makes use of the ???leftover oil in the olive remains, it is still produced from olives.
- Olive oil is one of the most well-regarded oils in the world. Even if it is a lower grade of oil, being second best is still better than many of the alternatives out there in the market.
It???s Non-GMO 🙂
All the grades of olive oil, including olive pomace oil, are usually non-GMO. As more and more consumers look for assurance that their food is non-GMO (or Non-GMO Project Verified???), this naturally GMO free ingredient is an ideal choice.
Olive Pomace oil is the main cooking grade oil. This oil is neutral in taste and flavor, thus doesn’t interfere with natural food flavors and blends brilliantly with Indian cuisine. You can use this oil for any kind of cuisine and any kind of cooking (roasting, baking, grilling, frying, etc.). It gives great results while deep frying as it has a very high smoke point of 238 degrees, which is highest amongst all culinary oils. High smoke point allows multiple reuse of oil, one just needs to filter it after every use. It’s a viscous oil, so you require only 1/3rd the quantity of other oils while cooking. Isn’t it all you wanted from your cooking oil, But i
#Researchers deep- and pan-fried raw potato pieces in four different refined oils olive, corn, soybean and sunflower ?) and reused the oil 10 times. They found that olive oil was the most stable oil for deep-frying at 320 and 374 degrees Fahrenheit, while sunflower oil degraded the fastest when pan-fried at 356 degrees. They conclude that for frying foods, olive oil maintains quality and nutrition better than seed oils.
- Evoo is good for health as we have seen above but its use is limited in the kitchen as we can’t use it for all type of cooking.
- As far as flavor is concerned, if you want the proper olive taste in your food , you can use EVOO, but the flavor differences between high-quality and lesser oils are erased with heating.
- One important point about EVOO is that, it is too expensive for day to day cooking for normal people l. So you can go for the other two options also.
- The bottom line, though, is that if all you have on hand is olive oil, or if you want to cook with it for flavor, I see no reason to avoid it 🙂
Some researchers also have concluded that , Olive oil maintain quality and nutrition better than other seeds oil.
So now it depends on you, which oil you want to go.
Storage of Olive Oil
- Always keep the cap tight so that it doesn’t come in contact of air. Study shows that air,light and temperature effects its oxidation.
- Ideal temperature for preserving it is 14 degree Celsius.
In summer you can put Olive oil in refrigerator for preserving it long.
- Proper storage techniques for olive oil are very important, not only to preserve the delicate taste of the oil, but also to ensure that it does not spoil and become rancid, which will have a negative effect on its nutritional profile.
- olive oil should be stored properly and used within 1-2 months to ensure its healthy phytonutrients remain intact and available.
- Proper storage of olive oil includes protection from light.
- Tinted glass bottles are one of the best storage options for preventing unwanted contamination of the olive oil with packaging materials (as might occur, for example, with the use of dark plastic bottles in which very small amounts of plastic might migrate from the bottle into the oil).
- Purchase only as much as you will use in one to two months and store away from light and heat. Protect your olive oil’s flavor and antioxidants by transferring 7 to 10 days’ worth of oil to a smaller bottle to lessen the oxidation that occurs when the oil is exposed to air. Leave this small bottle at room temperature for easy use, but refrigerate the rest.
- Definitely don’t store your olive oil near the stove as the heat will damage it.
Hope my little effort will make you to choose easily the best oil for your family. Please do share which oil you prefer for your family and don’t forget to share this post on Facebook 😉